The ProStart® National Certificate of Achievement (COA) is an industry-recognized certificate awarded to students who have passed the national exams and have completed mentored work experience.
Earning the COA demonstrates a commitment to and knowledge of the industry. Employers can be assured that ProStart graduates are better prepared for work in restaurant operations.
ProStart graduates earn special benefits like transfer credits at many colleges and universities in Wisconsin and nationwide, saving money on college tuition. And, exclusive scholarships are available to ProStart alumni who earn their COA.
COA Student Responsibilities
- Register on the ProStart website
- Use your legal name each time you access
- Exams and work experience hours are tracked online
- Pass the national ProStart exams for both Year 1 and Year 2
- Work 400 hours in the foodservice industry
- Up to 200 hours may be earned through in-school work (catering, school foodservice, school-based enterprise, etc.)
- Competition practices or workshops do not count toward required hours
- Send completed Student Work Experience Checklist and documentation of 400 hours to the ProStart teacher
COA Teacher Responsibilities
Teachers must be registered as a ProStart Educator on the ProStart website. Teachers may search for any student at their school to see a student’s COA application status once the student has completed at least one exam.
- Administer student exams
- Examine and confirm work experience documentation
- Examine and confirm the completed Student Work Experience Checklist to make sure 52 of 75 competencies were reached
After student submits all online COA information, mail all documentation to Alex Newman, Wisconsin’s ProStart Coordinator at: 2801 Fish Hatchery Road • Madison, WI 53713
ProStart® is a registered trademark of the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation and is used under license by National Restaurant Association Solutions, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of the National Restaurant Association. Visit the national ProStart® site at www.prostart.restaurant.org. ProStart® is supported by the Wisconsin Restaurant Association Education Foundation.